Temple Design Submissions
Interested in submitting a design for The Temple at Burning Seed 2020? We want to see your imagination come to life on the Paddock - be creative, have a go! Please review the following information and submit an Expression of Interest (E.O.I.).
- Your concept designs can be as weird, wacky and wonderful as you like - but to be considered for shortlisting they have to be WORKABLE! Also - any incomplete submissions will be rejected.
- Concept E.O.I. designs for the 2020 Burning Seed TEMPLE are invited from 09-Feb-20 to 22-Mar-20
- THREE designs will be selected from the E.O.I. round to submit detailed Final Submissions
- ONE design will be selected to create the TEMPLE, the spiritual heart of the Burn!!
- The runner-up design submissions may apply for large grant funding.
The Temple is one of our iconic Burn structures, standing until Sunday when it is burned. You are invited to present a concept design which reflects the theme, Tipping Point and which is consistent with the Ten Principles and with the tone of the Temple - a place for quiet reflection which allows participants personally and communally to engage with the release and renewal of the Burn. View the full 2020 Temple Design FAQ.
- STAGE ONE Expressions of Interest (E.O.I): 09-Feb-20 to 22-Mar-20 ‘Concept’ design submissions accepted
- STAGE TWO Shortlist & Full Proposal: 3 submissions are shortlisted and invited to submit FULL design proposals, candidates informed by 30-March-20 and must submit the full proposal by 1-Apr-20
- STAGE THREE Final Decision: Final Design chosen and applicants notified of decisions by 19-Apr-20
STAGE ONE: Specifications for Concept Designs: deadline 22-Mar-20 - Read These Carefully!
ALL Concept design submissions must include the following elements submitted via a Google Form
View the full form here
- A short bio on the artist and a list of previous works, relevant experience and contact details;
- A description of your concept and how it relates to this yearʼs theme;
- A physical description of the installation, including approximate dimensions & materials used;
- Approximate budget (please note MAXIMUM budget available in 2020 is $15,000);
- Concept drawings in a digital format (pdf or jpg) hosted on Google Docs (preferred) or emailed to email@example.com;
- Multiple perspectives on your design, with ground views from the front, side and back
As a further guide, you might find it useful to take a look at the concept designs for the 2018 Temple - Temple of Aether
STAGE TWO: Specifications for Full Design Proposals 20-Mar-20 to 19-Apr-20
This is where you turn your concept into a set of detailed plans, with full costings. Submissions must include:
- Full design proposals in either CAD or SketchUp files or professional-quality architect drawings;
- Full project costings – this must include an itemised budget, the project manager is responsible for all orders and managing the budget and receipts during the build;
- Project Timeline: The ARTery will provide timeline benchmarks including, final design, LNT and burn plan submission, site access dates etc. The project timeline must include key prep work, supply delivery dates, and other stages as required for the project;;
- A Burn plan - how do you intend to burn your installation?
- A Leave No Trace (LNT) Plan - the project lead is responsible for leading clean-up ensuring that the site passes the LNT inspection after the Temple Burn.
- Crew details – what crew will you bring to build? Include crew numbers and levels of experience. Note that there is a crew of Temple Guardians you can work with to provide on site monitoring of The Temple.
If you need help with any of your STAGE TWO plans, you’re welcome to draw on Seed’s knowledge and resources. If you’ve got this far, we like your idea and we want to give you the best chance of making it work! Seed’s Art Grant Selection Committee (AGSC), Fire Art Response Team (FART), Leave No Trace (LNT) Team and Build Team together have many years of experience and can help - from setting the right budget to delivering a safe and spectacular Burn.
STAGE THREE: Final Selection and Offer to Artist (1-May-20)
The Burning Seed Facilitators/Town Council will vote and select a final design and approve the timeline, design and budget for that project. The selected artist will be presented with a contract have ONE WEEK to accept the commission. On acceptance, the artist will enter into a legal contract with Burning Seed regarding copyright, ownership and construction compliance. The second and third runner-up projects will have the opportunity to adjust their project plan and budget in order to apply for a large art grant, applications close 07-May-20.