by Neil Power aka Neillo
So you want to go to Burning Seed this year and are wondering what your gift will be? Well maybe start thinking along these lines – why not gift your time as Community Crew…?
To operate a successful (read: stress free and safe) Burning Seed, the organisers need to fill a whole swathe of crew positions during the event.
Do the Maths
With insufficient numbers volunteering, for instance, for shifts at the Gate and with Rangers patrolling the Paddock making sure everyone and everything is cool, there can be only very limited growth in the number of tickets on sale for the event each year.
It really is that simple. More crew = more capacity to accommodate more people.
Last year only 8 per cent of Burning Seed participants that weren’t on the organisation team filled a crew shift during the event.
That is an utterly unsustainable number. We need to AT LEAST double it in 2016. Are you up for it?
Burning Seed is a Do-Ocracy
Burning Seed can only operate with the boots-on-the-ground help of our community and in 2016 we need everyone please to step up and to do so well in advance of the event.
And look at this way, as part of the Community Crew you are signing up to spend a shift or two meeting some of the most awesome people on the planet. Bummer, eh?
So. Many. Options.
So here’s what I’d like you to consider:
1. (a) Find a mate. These experiences can be so much better shared, yeah? and (b) Do it on you own because your friends are usually worthless bastards that end up just letting you down.
2. Consider whether you are a ‘walk around the Paddock looking good in orange with a radio’ type person (Rangers) or a, ‘hmmmm, I’d like to stand in one spot and let the people come to me!’ dude or dudess (Gate, ice sales)
3. Email the awesome Crew Wrangler team on firstname.lastname@example.org with your offer to assist or to ask as to how otherwise you can help. (If you like getting your hands dirty, we’ve got some perfect gigs for you too).
4. Turn up! Oh, yeah, and about half the people that signed up for shifts last year didn’t front up. That’s pretty unhelpful too. This is serious people. A smooth Gate experience (and we need Gate people ALL the way through the event, not just for the first couple of days) and a safe Paddock environment are critical to the safe staging of Burning Seed and we simply need more people on site during the event helping out. And if we don’t have that help, the event can’t grow. It’s pretty binary.
So please start thinking about it and start getting in touch NOW!!! Help us stage a great event and allow as many people as possible enjoy the Burning Seed experience by putting your hand up to help.
How Will YOU Role?
We ALWAYS want to hear from people keen on Gate and Rangers shifts but over the next few weeks we are particularly keen to fill a couple of essential Burning Seed roles – we’ve drafted role descriptions so you can see exactly what’s involved and what skills are required for each role:
- Sanitation Team Lead and 2iC, and general Sanitation Crew
- Electrical and Plumbing Specialists for the Department of Planning and Infrastructure
- Pack Down Crew
- Kitchen Crew – Team Lead and 2iC
Thanks heaps! See you on the Paddock! – Neillo