by MOOP DADDY
With Earth Hour (19 March 2016) focusing everyone’s minds on ways to Leave No Trace (or at least less trace) on this beautiful planet of ours, Burning Seed’s Leave No Trace (LNT) Team thought we’d take an opportunity to give veteran and new burners some ideas about how you can plan NOW to reduce your impact on Red Earth City, our lovely Matong State Forest home.
Top Ten Tips
So in time-honoured tradition, here’s a few ways (in no particular order) that you can be a better Burner and minimise your impact on the environment during your visit to Burning Seed in 2016:
- Start planning to rideshare – we are looking at ways to better manage traffic this year, but the best way to manage traffic (and emissions!!) is for you to find a buddy or two or five and organise a rideshare. Look out for rideshare forums closer to the event.
- Don’t fly in – yes that’s controversial, and difficult (particularly if you live overseas). At least consider offsetting your emissions.
- Pack it in, pack it out – dealing with the rubbish can be the worst part of your Burn if you haven’t made plans. When we say we Leave No Trace, WE MEAN IT. Plan to take all of your smelly refuse with you when you leave (or find ways to not bring it in the first place).
- MOOP is what we call MATTER OUT OF PLACE. When in Red Earth City, MOOP as you go. Don’t leave it all to the end.
- PARTICIPATE and carry a MOOP bag with you. Look out for MOOP around Red Earth City and grab it before it gets away! Join the MOOP Troupe!
- Leave glitter, confetti and other microplastic crap at home. Glitter bad. Very Bad.
- Line-sweep your camp site when you leave. Form a line with your camp-mates and walk a grid before you depart.
- Use solar or rechargeable lighting and power wherever possible. Coordinate with other camps to share generator power. Collaborate!
- Get involved early and join the Red Earth Ecology Biodiversity Planting project next month in Matong (April 22nd–24th)
- The best thing you could do? DON’T COME!* It was better last year anyway 🙂
*Hmm, this is actually kinda true but we won’t hold you to it.